Marmaris (Turkey) – the most detailed information about the city with photos. The main attractions of Marmaris with a description, guides and cards.
Marmaris is a city in southwestern Turkey, a popular resort and port. Located on the Mediterranean coast in the province of Mugla. Marmaris is a small, pretty city with beautiful bays, promenades and great beaches. This is one of the most popular places. for a beach holiday in Turkey where more than half a million comes tourists annually.
- Geography and climate
- Best time to visit
- Practical information
- How to get there
- Shopping and shopping
- Food and drink
- Maps and guides
- Comments and reviews
Geography and climate
Marmaris is located on the border of the Mediterranean with the Aegean. The city stretches along a long coastline that is surrounded by picturesque mountains covered with pines, secluded coves and beautiful beaches. Before entering the main bay of Marmaris the island is located, which protects it from strokes and strong waves.
The climate is Mediterranean with hot summers and mild winters. The beach season lasts from May to October. Already in June, the water temperature at sea about 22 ° C, reaching a maximum in August (25 ° C). Rainy The season runs from November to March.
If you need a warmer sea, we recommend to pay attention on Side.
Best time to visit
The best time to stay in Marmaris is the period from June to September.
- The population is more than 30 thousand people.
- The area is 878.1 km².
- The currency is Turkish Lira. Like most popular Turkish resorts here willingly accept dollars and euros.
- Visa – for up to 60 days it is enough to have a passport whose actions are more than four months from the date of entry into Turkey
- Time – UTC +2, in summer +3.
- The language is Turkish.
Marmaris is known for its long coastline with numerous beaches and clear sea.
- City beach – the most popular beach of Marmaris with magnificent sand and clear sea. Located in the city center.
- Uzunyali Beach or Long Beach – a long sandy beach (about 10 km) with cafes, bars, shops. It extends from Marmaris to Ichlimera.
Bay in the outskirts of Marmaris
Beaches in the vicinity of Marmaris
- Ichlimer Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches of the resort with golden sand. Located 8 km from Marmaris.
- Turunz Beach is a picturesque beach with a blue flag located in 21 km west of Marmaris.
- Cleopatra Beach is another beautiful beach which is located on Sedir Island, 16 km from Marmaris.
The exact date of the founding of the city is unknown. Already in the II millennium BC there was a settlement Phiskos, which was part of the composition of Caria. In the 6th century BC the city was conquered by the Persians. AT 2 century BC Marmaris became part of the Roman Empire. After decline Rimagorod became part of Byzantium.
In the 7-8 century, Marmaris suffers from the invasion of the Arabs. In the 14th century The city was invaded by the Turks and annexed to the Ottoman Empire. AT In 1522 a fortress was built here, and the city itself was renamed Marmaris. At the beginning of the 20th century, he was small fishing town. Everything changed in the 80s of the 20th century, when Marmaris began to develop as a resort. Now this place is one of the most popular tourist centers Turkey
In 1957, Marmaris was destroyed by an earthquake and in fact rebuilt again.
How to get there
The nearest airport is in Dalaman, 100 km from Marmaris. On arrival, you can easily arrange a transfer to the desired hotel or do it online.
Marmaris at night
Shopping and shopping
The most popular purchases in Marmaris: leather, carpets, products from onyx and ceramics, jewelry, replicas of clothing and footwear. The most The popular shopping area is Grand Bazaar, which located in the city center. Shops in Marmaris work with 9.00 to 22.00.
To get the best price you need to bargain.
Food and drink
With food in Marmaris there will definitely be no problems. Popular the resort offers the most varied cuisine from Turkish to European and Caucasian. The main ingredients of local cuisine are fish and seafood, lamb, chickpeas, eggplants, olive oil, yogurt, cheese, rice, spinach, potatoes, bread, tomatoes, and spices grass
- hummus – chickpea puree.
- dolma – stuffed vegetables with rice and meat.
- börek – puff pastry with meat or cheese.
- cacik – salad with cucumbers, yogurt and olive oil
- kuzu güveç – baked lamb.
- köfte – meatballs with rice.
- kebap – traditional Turkish food.
- mücver – ground vegetables with dill and cheese, baked in the oven.
- Turkish sweets: Lokma, baklava, Turkish delight.
Marmaris is a city for recreation (mostly beach). There are not many ancient sites and monuments here. The most popular activities are visiting water parks and beaches, cruises along the coast and islands, safaris in the picturesque mountains, visiting Turkish baths (hammam), diving and various water types sports, trips to clubs and restaurants.
Yacht parking or marina is one of the most popular places. Marmaris, always filled with life and fun. Here you can to make an evening promenade among expensive yachts and boats, and after sit in a nice restaurant or bar.
On a small hill with beautiful views of the bay and the city located Ottoman castle, built in the 16th century. Within its walls Marmaris Museum is located with many artifacts and artifacts period of the Ottoman Empire.
Not far from the castle in the direction of the city center are located fountains.
Not far from Marmaris near the town of Dalyan, you can look at ancient Lycian tombs. They are carved straight into the rock and decorated reliefs.
Popular day trips from Marmaris:
- Pamukkale (Cotton Castle) – one of the most famous places Turkey with white travertines, natural terraces the baths and ruins of ancient Hierapolis.
- Knidos – the ruins of the ancient city on the Datça peninsula.
- Oludeniz, where the Blue Lagoon is located – the most beautiful Turkey beach.
Maps and guides