Jellyfish – marine invertebrate creatures whose beauty and grace better to watch from a distance. Jellyfish in thailand inhabit all the waters washing the shores of this country, – as in Andaman Sea, and in the Gulf of Siam. They are not aggressive, therefore all possible troubles from communicating with them can to avoid. To do this, be careful and observe simple measures. security. And you need to know what to do if unwanted contact took place. Most of them (and not only them, a certain dangers are also represented by pricking with needles of a sea urchin) meet off the beaches of Phuket, Koh Samui’s beaches, and resort town of Hua Hin and Krabi province.
Season of jellyfish in Thailand
These marine animals can be seen at any time of the year, but they Vital activity is seasonal. Jellyfish season in Thailand lasts from May to October, in other months they are much smaller. The closer to the equator they inhabit, the higher their activity and toxicity. Thai jellyfish are much more unpleasant neighbors than those that can be found, for example, in the Black Sea. As a rule, contact with them ends burn or other unpleasant sensations.
However, Thai-type jellyfish are real children compared to those that sometimes swim in Thai waters from the shores of Australia. Before adventures of Sea wasps (Chironex fleckeri) and Portuguese ships (Physalia physalis) a jellyfish bite in Thailand has never led to the death of bathers. But now, despite the continuous monitoring of waters by biologists, caution and attentiveness should be the main rule of all who is resting in Thailand.
Warning of the danger of Thai jellyfish
What are these dangerous jellyfish?
Jellyfish “Sea wasp” – the most dangerous creature. Not only does her stinging cells contain poison, able to kill in four minutes, so it is also translucent, and because it is almost invisible in the water column. The main danger stems not from the dome, whose diameter reaches the size of a basketball ball, and from tentacles up to three meters. The more the Sea Wasp, so it is more dangerous. Small specimens cause burns, leaving large scars cause cardiac arrest and paralysis of the lungs. If a jellyfish of this type will be noticed in the water, then the beach is closed. From her action Poison salvation is one thing – an antidote that must be introduced into the most short term.
Jellyfish Sea Wasp (Chironex fleckeri)
Medusa Portuguese ship (Physalia physalis)
Portuguese ship less poisonous. Its dome is bright blue about thirty cm in diameter. As a rule, it lives in the upper water layers and well marked. Contact with his long Tentacles cause anaphylactic shock and pulmonary edema.
How to avoid contact with jellyfish
To avoid acquaintance with jellyfish, you must follow a number of simple rules:
- never bathe in the rain or during a storm;
- do not enter the muddy water;
- do not ignore warning signs and notices;
- be careful in the water;
- stay away from the spotted jellyfish;
- if you come in contact with something slippery and unpleasant, then not panic, don’t swing your arms and legs, try quietly sail aside;
- know that a jellyfish cast ashore is no less dangerous than in water.
What to do if you were stung by a jellyfish
- If you feel a burn, then try not to panic. Swinging your arms and legs can lead to touching one tentacle will entangle you all at once. Than the denser the contact, the greater the dose of poison you will receive, and this may cause fainting right in the water.
- If you feel a burn, immediately go ashore, because the symptoms poisoning does not develop immediately. On the shore, take steps to ensure that to remove remnants of tentacles. To do this, use the wand, tweezers, but do not touch the affected area bare hand!
- Rinse the burn with vinegar or lemon juice. Poisonous jellyfish in Thailand use a toxin, which enhances its action when in contact with ammonia, therefore, trying to flush the affected area with urine will only worsen position. Fresh water, carbonated beverages destroy the shell stinging cells, which leads to additional poisoning, therefore, they are also unacceptable for washing.
- Do not scrape or bandage the affected area. Get ready conduct an indirect heart massage and artificial respiration.
All of the above – first aid measures. It must be correct render before a doctor arrives at the scene, which make antitoxic injection.
In Thailand, they are well acquainted with the danger posed by jellyfish Therefore, on the equipped beaches there is definitely an item. medical care. All medical manipulations are done on the scene of the incident is free. In hotels, on beaches and even in stores give out free information posters to tourists imagined the degree of danger and knew how to proceed emergency situation.