Cardiff (United Kingdom) – the most detailed information about the city with a photo. The main attractions of Cardiff with a description, guides and maps.
Cardiff City (UK)
Cardiff is a city in the southwest of the UK and the capital of Wales. It is a large industrial center, famous for its rich history. and a wonderful Welsh atmosphere. Cardiff – a city of industrial businesses and parks, a magnificent ancient castle and museums. it A great starting point for exploring Wales and exploring it. beauty
- Geography and climate
- Practical information
- Maps and guides
- Comments and reviews
Geography and climate
Cardiff is located on the south coast of Wales and is washed by the waters. Bristol Bay Through the city flows the whole three rivers: Taf, Eli and Rimney. Cardiff has a temperate maritime climate with a cool summer and winter.
- The population is more than 360 thousand people.
- The area is 140 km².
- Currency – pound sterling.
- Language – English and Welsh.
- Time – UTC 0, in the summer +1.
- The UK is not a party to the Schengen Agreement. Visa can be obtained by personally visiting an accredited visa centers that are located in Moscow, Novosibirsk, St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don and Yekaterinburg.
- Cardiff has an international airport that takes regional (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast) and intra-European (Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid) flights.
- The train to Cardiff is easily accessible from London and other major cities of Britain.
- Cardiff is known for its huge concentration of bars and pubs. More of them all in the areas of Mary Street, Greyfriars Road and Mill Lane, and also mermaid quay.
In the 1st century BC. in the territory of the modern city existed settlement of the Silurov tribe. In the 1st century AD during the reign Emperor Vespasian’s Roman fort was built here, which after a century was rebuilt to accommodate a military garrison. AT By the 3rd century this fortified camp was rebuilt into a fortress, the remains of which is still visible. After the collapse of the Roman Empire fortress was abandoned.
Very little is known about Cardiff during the early Middle Ages. AT The construction of the Norman castle on the ruins began in the 11th century. ancient roman fort. It is interesting that initially the city belonged to the english crown. At the beginning of the 15th century during the uprising Glindura castle and city were almost destroyed.
In the 17th – 18th century, the city developed as a large industrial center. and seaport. In 1905, Cardiff receives city status. AT 1955 the city was declared the capital of Wales.
Cardiff Castle is a large medieval fortress that is a symbol of the city. The foundation of this ancient structure is an antique roman fort. The castle was founded at the end of the 11th century. the normans. 2000 year old Welsh artifacts are stored here. stories.
Cardiff Bay is one of the most emblematic places in the capital. Wales, which played a crucial role in the development of the city in the period industrial revolution. Now the old docks are in the past of one of the largest British ports converted into cultural objects.
The most interesting buildings:
- Pierhead (pier building) – one of the most beautiful historical Cardiff buildings, built at the end of the 19th century in the style of French renaissance. Now it houses a historical museum.
- Millennium Stadium – one of the largest stadiums in Britain Built in 1999 for the Rugby World Cup. Used by also for football matches.
- The Wales Millennium Center is an outstanding example of modern architecture and famous theater venue, opened in 2004 year
- Wales National Assembly or Senedd Residence Welsh Parliament.
Norwegian Church – a wooden church not far from Senedd, built for Norwegian sailors.
Town Hall – an impressive building of the early 20th century, made of white stone, adorned with many statues and decorative elements.
Church of sv. John the baptist
Church of sv. John the Baptist – the only medieval church in cardiff center. This is a beautiful gothic building with high The tower was founded in the 15th century.
Llandaf is an ancient cathedral located in northwestern part of the city. The church dates back to 1107 and different impressive gothic architecture. This is one of the oldest religious buildings in the UK.
Castell Koch (from the Welsh “red castle”) – magnificent medieval castle located on the outskirts of Wales.
Maps and guides
City Map Transport Map