Alicante (Spain) – detailed information about the city with photos. The main attractions of Alicante with a description, guides and cards.
City of Alicante (Spain)
Alicante is a resort town in eastern Spain, the center of the same name. provinces. It is considered the capital of the eastern Spanish coast and the main resort of the Costa Blanca. Alicante is a place where you can find almost everything a tourist needs: sea and snow white sandy beaches, rich history and attractions (from medieval fortress to classic mediterranean old cities with narrow cobbled streets). It is dynamic and modern. a city that is one of the best holiday destinations in Spain.
Panorama of Alicante
- Geography and climate
- Best time to visit
- Practical information
- How to get there
- Shopping and shopping
- Food and drink
- Maps and guides
- Comments and reviews
Geography and climate
Alicante is located in the southeastern part of Spain on the coast Mediterranean Sea. The province is bordered by Valencia in the north, Murcia in the south, Albacete in the west, and in the east limited Mediterranean Sea. In Alicante there are mountains in the north and west regions. The south is quite even. Segura River flows east through the whole province. The climate is mild Mediterranean. Summer is hot and dry, winter is very warm.
Best time to visit
Alicante can be visited all year round. Perfect visit time with May to October.
- Population – 328.7 thousand people (11 by population) city of spain).
- The area is 201.3 square kilometers.
- The language is Spanish. Locals speak Valencia dialect.
- Currency – Euro.
- Visa – Schengen.
- Time – Central European UTC +1, in summer +2.
- Meal time: breakfast: from 7:30 to 10:00, lunch: from 14:00 to 16:00, dinner: from 21:00 to 22:30.
- Most hotels, restaurants and shops accept banking. cards.
- Network voltage standard – 220-240 V.
Tourist information centers:
- Avda. de Salamanca, s / n. Alicante
- Rambla Méndez Núñez, 41 Alicante 03002
- Plaza del Ayuntamiento 1 Alicante 03001
- Playa de San Juan (Beach of San Juan)
- Alicante’s Airport (ALC)
Beach San juan
The province is famous for its beaches, many of which have “blue flag” (water in the sea here corresponds to the highest standards). The most famous and largest beaches of Alicante:
- San Juan is one of the most popular and largest beach in Alicante. Almost three kilometers of golden sand, turquoise sea and excellent infrastructure.
- Albufereta is a popular sandy beach among the locals, located northwest of the city. Length – 400 meters
- Postiguet – famous sandy beach located in the center city at the foot of the castle of Santa Barbara. Length almost one kilometer.
- Saladar-Urbanova – a sandy beach 5 km south of the city center. The length is 1600 meters.
At the time of the ancient Greeks on the site of modern Alicante there was a fishing harbor. In the 3rd century BC, the Carthaginians founded the fortified settlement of Akra Levka here, later captured the Romans and they called Lucentum. Arabs conquered the city in the 12th century. and called it al-lacant, which transformed into modern title.
In 1246 Alicante became part of the Castilian Kingdom. AT In 1308 the city became part of the kingdom of Valencia. By the end of 15 century Alicante has become one of the largest trading ports Spain
Port of alicante
In the 19th century, the city began to expand rapidly and flourish, contributed to the presence of the port and railway. Today province Alicante is the second largest region in Valencia autonomous community, and the city itself is one of the largest and most popular resorts in Spain.
How to get there
The airport is located 11 km south of Alicante. From the airport to The city runs every 20 minutes a bus that leaves from level +2 new terminal.
The main railway station is located in the city center. Everything major Spanish cities such as Madrid, Seville, Barcelona, have daily train service to Alicante. From madrid and Valencia runs a high-speed train. Average journey time from Alicante to Madrid is 3 hours 30 minutes.
One of the best ways to travel for short and long Distances from Alicante is a bus. The bus station is located in Calle Portugal – near the harbor. Many bus carriers operate from this bus station and offer flights to other cities and regions of Spain.
Shopping and shopping
Along the Explanada d’Espanya you can find many places where sold souvenirs. Generally Alicante has something to offer from the point view of shopping. On the streets between La Rambla and Federica Soto do de Alfonso El Sabio has many shops. In El Barrio, Alicante’s old quarter also has many shopping points.
Large shopping centers:
- El corte inglés
- Centro Comercial Plaza Mar 2
- Centrol Comercial Panoramis
- Centrol Comercial Gran Via
- Centrol Comercial Puerta de Alicante
Food and drink
As elsewhere in the region, seafood dishes dominate, tapas and paella. To save on food recommend ordering “menu of the day. ”Many restaurants do not serve dinner until 9 pm, so keep This is in mind when planning an evening meal. Of drinks worth noting great wines.
Alicante is known for its nightlife. Your clubs and bars famous area of El Puerto. In the summer, many parties take place. on the beaches of Postiguet and San Juan. Also known for its nightlife. El Barrio, whose narrow streets are filled with many bars, while the Esplanade Square is more popular in the summer months.
The most important attractions and places of interest Alicante.
Castle Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara Castle – one of the largest medieval fortresses Spain and the most famous landmarks of Alicante. Located on top of Mount Benacantil at an altitude of 166 meters with beautiful view of the city and the bay. The fortress has Moorish the roots. The last reconstruction of the castle dates back to the 16th century. The best time to visit this place is morning or evening.
Church of sv. Mary’s
Church of sv. Maria is one of the main attractions Alicante. It was built in the Gothic style between the 14th and 16th centuries on ruins of a moorish mosque. The church has a richly decorated baroque facade, among which stands out the image of the virgin sculptor Juan Bautista Borja. The main altar is made in style rococo.
Cathedral of sv. Nicholas Bari
Cathedral of sv. Nicholas Bari was built in the XVII century in the style of the era Renaissance and Baroque. It is located in the old town near the town hall. The church has a beautiful blue dome and a beautiful garden.
The Town Hall is a historic baroque building. Interesting The town hall features a meeting room, a chapel and twin towers over 30 meters high.
Casco Antiguo is a charming neighborhood in the old city, more similar to a spanish village. The locals are proud of their houses, decorated balconies and thresholds with fresh flowers and paint on shutters.
Explanada de España – Alicante’s exquisite marble promenade. She is begins in the old town and continues to the pier.
Interesting places and museums:
- Tabarka Island – located at a distance of 11 nautical miles from Alicante. Charming place.
- Archaeological Museum – expositions from antiquity to Middle Ages.
- Museum of Contemporary Art – 800 works of art, representing many of the most famous artists of the 20th century, including Picasso, Francis Bacon, Salvador Dali and Joan Miro.
- Towers – since the 1500s, a complex network was built protective and viewing structures to protect the coast from pirates. Before About 30 of our time have survived.
Maps and guides
City Map Alicante Map