Lake Como (Italy) – the most detailed description with photos, the main attractions, how to get and the location of Como on map.
Lake Como (Lago di Como)
Como is a lake in the Lombardy region of Italy. it one of the deepest lakes in Europe (maximum depth – 410 meters), as well as one of the most beautiful. Como along with the lakes Garda and Braies is one of the most famous and visited natural sights of Italy.
Night on lake como
How to get there
If you are resting or heading to Milan, Bergamo or others cities nearby, I recommend to call on Como. If you go to car, this is the A9 Como-Chiasso freeway. Also here you can get by train. Tickets see here. -http: //www.trenitalia.com/
View of Como
The lake is formed by three arms: in the north – Colico, on south-east – Lecco, south-west – Como. Mild climate and scenic surroundings with beautiful villas and attractions attracts many tourists.
Fog on lake como
The best way to get to know Lake Como is to sail it the ship. You can admire the beautiful natural landscapes, beautiful coastal towns and luxury villas. And in the coastal restaurants try traditional local cuisine – fish dishes, different types of cheese and delicious desserts.
On lake como
The most interesting sights and places of Lake Como
The most interesting sights and places of Lake Como, which can be visited in 1-3 days.
Of the many coastal towns, the most popular and famous these are Como, Lecco, Bellagio, Cernobbio, Varenna. Here too focused main attractions.
On lake como
If you come to the city of Como be sure to look:
- Cathedral of Como – one of the most beautiful architectural monuments of northern Italy. This religious building was built on over three and a half centuries from the 14th century. Here you will find sculptures of Rodari, paintings by Luini and Ferrari, paintings of the era Renaissance.
- The Church of Abbondio is an old church of the 11th century dedicated to St. Peter and Paul. Represents a striking example of the romance architecture.
- Palace Broletto, built in the early 13th century.
- Volta Palace – a neoclassical building dedicated to great scientist and inventor.
- The Como Funicular – Brunate – connects the lake capital and the small town of Brunate at the very top, which opens beautiful view. For 7 minutes the funicular overcomes a distance of 1 km with a slope of 55%, and the height difference is 500 meters.
Lecco – the pearl of Como. City located in the southeast Lake, inextricably linked with the name of the famous writer Alessandro Manzoni. It was here that he drew inspiration for his famous novel – Engaged. In addition to the mansion-museum writer be sure to see the area on September 20, the Old Market Square, the Visconti Tower, the Cathedral of San Nicolo, the City Hall and the Visconti Bridge, built back in the Renaissance.
Bellagio is a charming town on the banks of Como with a quaint old center: luxurious villas, shady avenues and old churches.
Cernobbio is a chic resort on the bank of Como with many chic villas The most beautiful villas in Cernobbio: Villa Erba, Villa Visconti, Bernasconi and D’Este.
Komachina Island is the only one on the lake. Extremely picturesque and a romantic place where history, nature, art and archeology intertwined in this little piece of land. Lush nature and beautiful landscapes with the remains of a fortified Citadels will not leave you indifferent.
Among the many luxury villas recommend to visit the villa Balbyanello in the town of Lenno, built for Cardinal Durini in late 18th century.
If you like old religious buildings, I recommend drive to the town of Ossuccio. Here, 25 km from Como, on Holy Mountain built a complex of world-famous chapels UNESCO.